IDEAS shared have the power to expand perspectives, change thinking, and move lives.
Nitin Jain shares his thoughts and insights on how to become a successful leader in today’s times.
Some people think leaders are born, not made. That is just not true. Like most other qualities important to life and business, learning to be a good leader is the key to success. It takes study, practice, and learning what inspires others. Read these tips to develop your leadership qualities.
Leadership Tips – How to be successful in leading teams:
- Creativity is something that good leaders foster in their teams. Thinking creatively helps goals and businesses to succeed. Be open to innovation and unexpected courses of action. Consider giving chances to ideas that may not work right now. This ensures all ideas are shared.
- Even if you are not the best at everything you do, you should never let people know that. Being a leader is about accepting the negative things about yourself but not stopping you from doing your best. This pertains to all points in your life where you may be lacking.
- Good leaders should be honest people. Do what you can. Remain authentic. When you tell the truth, do so kindly. Be open about any mistakes that have occurred. Mistakes will happen, so you need to accept them. It is those mistakes that you can use to find a new solution. They can provide you with nearly limitless opportunities.
- An excellent way to start being a better leader is to be more decisive. You will have to make many tough choices. If the team has a couple of different opinions regarding problem solutions, decide on a solution that will benefit everyone instead of a couple of people.
- Be open and honest as soon as there are any issues. It was common to keep problems under wraps in the past, but modern leaders know not to do this. What is the reason for this? Communication is essential in today’s environment. The story can get out regardless of whether you wish it would or not. How about bringing the captain of the ship instead of a passenger? Great leaders stay on that path.
- Ethics will guide you as a leader. To be run a successful business, you must strive to be ethical. When the customers are aware that you care about their interests, they stay with your company. By developing a set of moral responsibilities for your company’s employees, you can help ensure that the rules are followed.
- When you’re a business leader, you should try to treat your team or staff in the way you’d like to be treated. Looking down on people isn’t right and doesn’t promote a good work atmosphere. If you treat you to show your staff respect, they will return the favor, making your life much easier.
Leadership can make the difference between a successful business and one that doesn’t succeed. People work harder for those who know how to get the best out of them. Use the tips you are learned here to lead people to greatness. You don’t have to be the most challenging, hardest working person in the world, but you do have to know how to lead.
What Is Leadership?
A frequently hard to comprehend subject is that of an executive leadership team.
- Who are Leaders?
- What do Leaders actually do?
- Why should Leaders matter at all?
Leadership & Communication
One issue at the executive leadership level is the level of communication that exists between the leader and the other team members. Many times the leader has influence over the behavior of their employees. This leads to situations where the leader does not know what the employee thinks or feels. If there are any problems, this will certainly spill over into the actual working environment. It is important for the leader to keep tabs on the thinking patterns of their team members so that any missteps or decisions are not made in bad faith.
Leadership & Cooperation
Being a leader also entails some philosophies about the value of cooperation. For example, you as the leader may believe that teamwork is absolutely vital to the success of any enterprise. You may believe that your business should be run along a collaborative basis. However, you may find that your organization is run on a collaborative basis only among small teams. This type of leadership is probably not the best for large teams. Large collaborative teams tend to crash and burn because it is difficult for everyone to work together. Larger teams also need the leader to initiate decision-making.
Decision Making as a Leader
There are also times when the leader needs to initiate big decisions, but they do not have enough followers to do so. The leader must therefore delegate major decisions to individuals who have the necessary work experience and knowledge. Otherwise, the work may not get done.
What are the qualifications to become a successful leader?
Leadership is more than having the right qualifications. In fact, there is a considerable debate between leaders that have the skills and the knowledge while others lack both. You need to have a certain amount of both if you are going to succeed as a leader. Leaders who lack both are often thought ineffective and generally do not get the respect they deserve. On the other hand, those that have both the knowledge and the skills are viewed as great leaders and receive high regard from their followers.
Why are personality and character important for Leaders?
If you are serious about leadership, you must work hard on your personality and character. Leadership is more than just having the right qualifications or experience. There must also be some intangible leadership qualities that make you an effective leader. The most successful leaders are those that feel motivated and are willing to lead by example. Others are driven by the need to make a difference in the world and provide value.
Leadership and the art of listening
Great leadership involves providing guidance when it is needed and listening to and taking into consideration the thoughts, opinions, and feelings of the people around you. All successful leaders learn to deal with conflict resolution effectively—those who cannot maturely handle these situations quickly become unpopular or even disliked. Great leaders are adaptable and can find the middle ground in any situation.
The most important job of a Leader – taking responsibility
A leader should take responsibility for their leadership and be willing to accept feedback from followers. If you do not accept criticism, you will not be a successful leader. On the other hand, if you are always willing to learn new things and improve yourself, then you will inspire others to do the same. You need to be able to balance leadership and management and be able to make difficult decisions based on facts and figures. A good leader is one who is able to make difficult decisions based on knowledge, experience, values, and vision.
Leadership is a process rather than a single action. It is a continuous process that you need to apply to your own situation on a day-to-day basis. It takes hard work and dedication, but the end result will be stable leadership that lasts for the long term. Those who achieve this level of leadership are ones who are willing to take responsibility and put their followers first. They can delegate tasks but are also accountable to their followers.
If you want to develop leadership in yourself or your organization, there are several different resources available. A great place to start is at your local library. Many books have a wide range of subjects written on this topic, including “How to Be a Great Leader” by Jack Canfield and “The Art of Getting Things Done” by Tony Robbins.
The best leaders are not just born leaders; they are born with a plan and follow that plan. With hard work, patience and persistence, you too can become a great leader.
About the Author
Nitin Jain is a serial entrepreneur and author – he is presently managing multiple startups and funded organizations. Nitin is the Founder & CEO of India PR Distribution – India’s top trusted and awarded PR service.
An MBA from TVU, London, Nitin has more than 15 years of experience in managing and mentoring teams across multiple countries and cultures.